Railcut Coral

One day, last summer, I was pleased to discover a railcut not far from my house. I decided to check it out. It doubles as a bowling ball graveyard.


The exposure is a short distance away.


Silurian rocks. I'm not sure of the exact strata, but I want to say interreef upper Racine Formation.  My time was limited and after a brief look around, it seemed barren of fossils. The rock was embedded with chert nodules and a sort of dull beige color when split. Because it was summer and the foliage made it difficult to fully investigate, I decided to return in the fall.


Below is some exposed strata after the leaves had fallen. The layers are dipping slightly to the east. I walked a little west and came across a large tabulate coral loose on the ground. 


When I returned home, I noticed it was silicified and completely covered in tiny quartz crystals- a change from the dolomitized corals I'm used to finding in this region. Not a particularly attractive specimen, I decided to slice it up to have a look at the internal structure. Here is a chunk ready to be sliced.


To be continued...





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A rare find in the Pennsylvanian Black Shales

Pennsylvanian

Water Levels