Late Ordovician Asaphidae

Now that that snow has melted, I made a trip to my favorite Isotelus spot. More collecting is needed.


Here is the find of the day. A complete prone Isotelus hiding under a large pygidium which must have sheltered and protected it from disarticulation during the storm.


The cephalon and other half of thorax on reverse side. Unfortunately, I somehow lost the piece containing the rest of the cranidium on the trip home.


Gluing the thorax back on at home..


Finished preparation. Not entirely complete obviously but still my most beautiful Isotelus iowensis specimen after searching over the past few years, so I am quite happy with it. 


Isotelus iowensis 
Ordovician period
 Cincinnatian series
 Richmondian stage
 Maquoketa group
Illinois
measures 10cm
collected March 17, 2019




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A rare find in the Pennsylvanian Black Shales

Pennsylvanian

Water Levels