Silurian in Indiana

A couple weeks ago I made a drive east to check out some Silurian coral reefs in Indiana. I had about 5 different localities mapped out, however I was only able to collect at one because of No Trespassing posts. One interesting spot was a cemetery on a hill. Walk through the cemetery and on the other side is a river exposing Silurian rocks. I did not collect any fossils from this location as the rocks were partially submerged in water. Instead, I admired some of the old grave markers.




I spent the most time at a small roadcut slicing through a coral reef. You can see the core of the reef clearly from this google earth shot.


I collected mostly from the northeast side of the core.


Here are some examples:

Unknown Mollusk


Platyceras


Sphaerexochus romingeri


Syringipora sp.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A rare find in the Pennsylvanian Black Shales

Pennsylvanian

Water Levels